News: QELServ based combat mini-game (Lands Of War) 0.0.2 in testing NOW!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
+  QELServ Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Questions
| | |-+  Battle system - How should it work?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Battle system - How should it work?  (Read 12596 times)
krayon
Administrator
Timely

View Profile WWW
« on: 2008-11-08 03:49 (Sat) »

OK... this is the second time I'm writing this so sorry if it's too brief.

So, while designing ranging we have come up with an issue that we hadn't thought of really Embarrassed

The battle system needs to be designed to work with the varied fighting styles and ideally provide a fairly even play for all (Summoning, Ranging, Fighting, Mage).  There are far reaching effects no matter what is chosen.

DESIGN 1 - RPG
As per the fighter tech demo, all combatents would click attack on an enemy which would lock both parties in a combat mode until one either flee'd, or died.  This would be caried across to the Rangers, Mages and Summoners too.

Upon shooting at a player with an arrow, a Ranger and their target would be locked in combat mode, and like fighters, one party would need to die or flee to end the battle.  Mages would be similar.  Summoners would differ only in that the Summoner and their creature that is attacking the victim, would be locked in combat mode.

This system would work well and is very much like a typical RPG.  It would almost guarantee the need for a way to stop the flee'er from being attacked (again) once they have escaped.  This would therefore probably need to disable the attacker in some way to hinder their pursuit of the flee'er.

DESIGN 2 - FREE
Another way is a more free mode.  This would work like the above but think of it as you always have 100% chance of fleeing a battle.  Basically it would mean that you would constantly jump in and out of combat.

THOUGHTS
Either way, it needs to work for all fighting types.  I would really appreciate any comments on the above or other suggestions that we haven't thought of.

MrGray
Betawulf
New

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2008-11-08 03:51 (Sat) »

I just can say dont make it free fight it should be engaged  Wink

Not everything that counts can be counted,and not everything that can be counted counts.
kavvie
Betawulf
Almost Timely

Beast

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-11-09 01:49 (Sun) »

IMO Ranger's need to attack from a range, so if it wasn't multi they wouldn't have much use would they? so it's a yes or no if they or mages can att ppl using arrows/spells on single combat map etc.

-PK addict Tongue bigk

I don't use ICQ/AIM/YIM. Only mumble/msn/xmpp so try to catch me there.

LightLan
Betawulf
New

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-11-09 01:52 (Sun) »

I'd prefer fighters and summons to be in a combat mode, but not archers and mages.

simply because archers and mages imo should be able to attack from FAR away, and once you get close to them they loose Tongue
SenZon
Betawulf
New

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-11-09 01:54 (Sun) »

Hmm..........
Make rangers flee rate higher (100% to much  Tongue) like 75-90% chance
Also make the arrows like the ones in EL basically
Ice arrows/bolts - i think its 5-20% to do cool down
Fire arrows/bolts- make it do mana burn
Magic arrows/bolts- mana drain

and most importantly DO NOT make it so uber expensive
on main 1 ice arrow is 90 gcs  Shocked

kavvie
Betawulf
Almost Timely

Beast

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-11-09 01:54 (Sun) »

I'd prefer fighters and summons to be in a combat mode, but not archers and mages.

simply because archers and mages imo should be able to attack from FAR away, and once you get close to them they loose Tongue

Exactly damn straight Smiley

kavvie
Betawulf
Almost Timely

Beast

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-11-09 01:56 (Sun) »

yes senzon correct, as knights/summoners are slower then mages/archers makes sense. but 75->90% is to much imo  Tongue

Juhi
Betawulf
New

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-11-09 02:06 (Sun) »

I gots alot of ideas about this.

If someone attacks a player with magic or ranged, they could be set to fight as a mage/archer and won't be able to switch to a different combat style during combat.
This will then remove a problem with Sen's idea, where different combat styles have different flee rates. Someone could attack as an archer to get the high flee rate, then switch to using swords.
Maybe placing arena's where only one type of combat style is allowed, and another where all types are allowed.

I'll post more once I figure out how to explain it.
krayon
Administrator
Timely

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2008-11-09 02:09 (Sun) »

The Ranger's locking the victim in combat does not mean that they are next to each other.

A typical scenario might be this:
  1. Ranger sees fighter from 8 squares away
  2. Ranger shoots fighter
  3. Fighter and Ranger enter combat mode and cannot move
  4. Fighter (possibly) looses health based on arrow from Ranger
  5. Fighter can now try to flee and/or use some alternative flee (as mentioned) that disables opponent.
  6. Fighter fails to flee or use item.
  7. Ranger fires again and injures Fighter.
  8. Fighter flees successfully and goes after Ranger.

Worth noting that if the flee does not apply some kind of stun on the Ranger, he can fire again, and lock the Fighter once again in combat.  The fighter would have made some progress getting to (or away from) the Ranger but would in most cases not be there yet.  This was why I said we would then need either the flee action to cause a stun, or an item to flee and stun (such as EL's disengagement ring) or something similar.

Of course this is all only relevant to the RPG style I mentioned in the original post.

LightLan
Betawulf
New

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008-11-09 06:12 (Sun) »

3. Fighter and Ranger enter combat mode and cannot move

I'd hate that to happen, dieing without a chance to fight back, if you get unlucky on flee Tongue
and I do not find it in any way realistic that arrows block you in place Tongue

I suggest that combat mode won't be entered for ranging(and magic)

but I suggest that on single combat maps, no 3rd person should be able to shoot an arrow or cast magic on one of 2 people fighting. they sure may cast magic on each other though Tongue
« Last Edit: 2008-11-09 06:15 (Sun) by LightLan » Logged
Korrode
Administrator
Timely

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008-11-09 09:40 (Sun) »

The potential issue with combat working one way for 2 orientations, and a different way for the other 2, is that balancing them may become impossible.

Rangers and Mages, unlike in EL, are not supposed to be (necessarily) "support" combatants. We want all of the 4 combatant types to be fairly balanced.

I'd hate that to happen, dieing without a chance to fight back, if you get unlucky on flee Tongue
I cant imagine fighters (human:3 ppl), who can wear the best armor in the game, and have a diss rings equivalent with only a 10-15 sec cooldown dying without getting a chance to engage their opponent.

"Often, the most striking and innovative solutions come from realising that your concept of the problem was wrong." - Eric S. Raymond
LightLan
Betawulf
New

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008-11-09 18:46 (Sun) »

The potential issue with combat working one way for 2 orientations, and a different way for the other 2, is that balancing them may become impossible.

Rangers and Mages, unlike in EL, are not supposed to be (necessarily) "support" combatants. We want all of the 4 combatant types to be fairly balanced.

I wanted to see rangers to be able to like attack you from the other side of the map Tongue
if you'd be locked than as well, you'd have no chance to ever get close.

but if they have to be a little closer to you, lock

I cant imagine fighters (human:3 ppl), who can wear the best armor in the game, and have a diss rings equivalent with only a 10-15 sec cooldown dying without getting a chance to engage their opponent.
disrings \o/
Jizzy
Betawulf
New

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008-11-11 06:40 (Tue) »

Ok.. i know most.. if not all of this has been said in previous posts... but i just want to reiderate it and say what i think Smiley

I think. as far as rangers. the ranger should not get locked in combat.. but the other person *the one being shot* should be locked in combat with a very high flee rate. like 90%-100%.. that way it slows the victem down enough so the ranger can shoot and flee and shoot and keep moving quick.. but with the high flee rate the worrior still has a chance to get to the ranger and smite him with hi weapons Tongue

summoners...i think if they attack some one they should be locked in combat. with a 60%-75% chance to flee.. less freedom than an archer b/c the summoner has animals and monsters fighting with it.... if the summoner was fighting a worrior then the worrior would have a flee rate as normally fighting a monster or person....

mages..now that i think about it should be the same as rangers.. and just a note.. maybe make what we know as the shield spell on EL.. be a dissing spell.. so a mage could cast the spell to diss from a fight...

worriors.. i like how it is now...

ok. thats my thoughts.. tell me what you think..
collardhills
Betawulf
New

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008-11-11 11:23 (Tue) »

im not pro, but i belive that
DESIGN 2 - FREE
Another way is a more free mode.  This would work like the above but think of it as you always have 100% chance of fleeing a battle.  Basically it would mean that you would constantly jump in and out of combat.

should be used. If you could just dis, and be able to atk straight away, it only gives a split second to get mana or whatever back to normal, it which time the other person could attack you and you would be back in the same situation.
grollach
Betawulf
New

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008-11-11 12:08 (Tue) »

Ok.. i know most.. if not all of this has been said in previous posts... but i just want to reiderate it and say what i think Smiley

I think. as far as rangers. the ranger should not get locked in combat.. but the other person *the one being shot* should be locked in combat with a very high flee rate. like 90%-100%.. that way it slows the victem down enough so the ranger can shoot and flee and shoot and keep moving quick.. but with the high flee rate the worrior still has a chance to get to the ranger and smite him with hi weapons Tongue

summoners...i think if they attack some one they should be locked in combat. with a 60%-75% chance to flee.. less freedom than an archer b/c the summoner has animals and monsters fighting with it.... if the summoner was fighting a worrior then the worrior would have a flee rate as normally fighting a monster or person....

mages..now that i think about it should be the same as rangers.. and just a note.. maybe make what we know as the shield spell on EL.. be a dissing spell.. so a mage could cast the spell to diss from a fight...

worriors.. i like how it is now..

ok. thats my thoughts.. tell me what you think..
i agree with jizzy but mages should not be able to be atted make it so that thay cant where armor but cant be attked unless it is a ranger i think thay can att the mag the fighter should be able to swich from fighter to ranger or mage to make it fair IMO
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length