News: QELServ based combat mini-game (Lands Of War) 0.0.2 in testing NOW!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
+  QELServ Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Suggestions
| | |-+  Ideal
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ideal  (Read 5300 times)
RipBigMan
Almost Timely

View Profile
« on: 2009-10-20 04:20 (Tue) »

I don't know if this has been posted before but here is what i am thinking of.... In Eternal lands when you have a horse equipd If you walked into a building it would die..How about it just unmount's by it self when you click a doorway...And is there any way this would work also...Kind of like world of warcraft where like c1 would be just one big map so there would be no loading unless you wanted to take a boat... This is just some stuff i have been thinking about,,,,Everyone tell me what you think about this idea i think it's good but I want to know if everyone else agree's or disagrees

If you want to run with the best be prepared to die like the rest

[RIP] rest in peices
MrGray
Betawulf
New

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2009-10-21 01:56 (Wed) »

I don't know about the horse thing but I think we can't make 1 big map i'm not that pr0 mapmaker but i made some and afaik it is only possible to make maps of 4 size that are already set by map maeker so we have to use em.

Not everything that counts can be counted,and not everything that can be counted counts.
EndorVaeros
Betawulf
New

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-10-22 00:28 (Thu) »

Even if making a map that big were possible, it would severely bog down the systems of people who are barely able to play the game as it is. You have to keep in mind, the more items there are on a map, the longer it would take to load, as the way the maps load in the client now, they load every polygon, even if they are hidden underground. So, as it stands now, a map that big would just be murder on people's systems.

~Endor Vaeros: Storyteller
krayon
Administrator
Timely

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2009-10-22 08:58 (Thu) »

This is definitely something that needs to be taken into account.  As MrGray points out, the maps are a since static item(*) created at "design time" and the largest possible is the same size as WhiteStone.

As EndorVaeros states however, maps that are large contain more items and hence take more "power" to render (and longer to load).

In general I would like few (if any) maps that large and some thought should be put into map connections etc to avoid unnecessary loading.  WhiteStone is a great example because it's the 2nd map, connected to IP so to go ANYWHERE (without teleport ability) you need to go through WhiteStone!  In EL, I seldom go to WS specifically however I cross it all the time, going from IP to VoTD etc.  To me, this is just bad design.

Having said all this, if and when the client is "updated" it could support more advanced map loading similar to the map loading support of sandbox games like Grand Theft Auto (and perhaps WoW).  They work by unloading the map data of "things" behind you, and loading things in front of you to give the illusion of a large map, the important part being "illusion".  The map data that the client is tracking at any given time in these, is probably smaller than WS, thereby being less of a load despite the apparent size.

(*) The maps can actually have dynamic items such as a flower that is only there between certain hours or disappears for an hour after people have harvested 1000 of them etc.  This system is somewhat limited however (for example, you cannot set collision information/height map stuff dynamically).

I don't think it makes sense for horses to die upon going into a building Tongue  I would think you would either auto-dismount, or have to manually dismount in order to enter.  At present, you can mount and dismount the creature that is a horse as well as attack it Tongue  I haven't coded any "ownership" type data as yet thus a horse only belongs to you while you're on it.  I only spent an hour doing that stuffs just to see how it would work conceptually so horses won't be in from the get go probably (and not in Korrode's beloved Lands of War either no doubt).

RipBigMan
Almost Timely

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-10-27 00:28 (Tue) »

That's what i was trying to say i could figure out the word's though ive played alot of rpg's with big maps that load the stuff in front and unload the stuff in back..If they can do it we can do it ilke you all say the sky is the limit..Didnt you all say that?

If you want to run with the best be prepared to die like the rest

[RIP] rest in peices
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length