News: QELServ based combat mini-game (Lands Of War) 0.0.2 in testing NOW!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
+  QELServ Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Suggestions
| | |-+  Level Caps (items/att/def)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Level Caps (items/att/def)  (Read 4541 times)
Talixim
Betawulf
New

View Profile
« on: 2009-03-19 11:36 (Thu) »

I suggest level caps on armors and weapons, such as: Jagged Saber requires level 50 attack to wield or Titanium Plate requires level 60 defense to wear or along the lines of that. Remove Human nexus and replace with that Tongue

Not sure if it would change anything but yeah..just makes people have to actually train a bit to be able to wear certain stuff.

Oh and a/d caps? Cap at like 100 or 150 or something? Idk, just more stuff for you to consider. Smiley
kavvie
Betawulf
Almost Timely

Beast

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2009-03-19 12:16 (Thu) »

Yes, i believe that we would require an a/d cap. as you can see people break away from others when leveling. one person could have 150 a/d, whilst the majority of others would have around 100-120s. IMO cap it somewhere along the lines of say 100? or 110?. The main argument about capping the main server a/d to something around 100 was that people already trained immensely over that and that some select mobs/monsters weren't killable at this att/def. But with this I'm pretty sure we can change mobs levels to a stance that it will only be a "team mob" or lower it's attrinutes, att and def.
my 2$ Wink

I don't use ICQ/AIM/YIM. Only mumble/msn/xmpp so try to catch me there.

trollson
Betawulf
New

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-03-20 00:29 (Fri) »

Attribute level caps presume an awful lot about the rest of the game mechanics and balance.

Caps became necessary in EL because of a lack of development in other aspects of the game, resulting in the predominant influence of Physique & Coordination to perform any activity (just hauling tonnes of material around the world for one thing...).

Level caps should not be necessary if all attributes have equal relevance in the game, and if somebody wants to be "Thrud the Barbarian", that's just fine...

On suggesting levels for combat skills -- that depends entirely on how the combat system plays out.

The combat system in EL is somewhat poor in design; the "risk profile" has a narrow range and weak tails...  The difference in opponent's abilities where a "fair fight" can be had is a relatively narrow range, and the potential risk in picking on a far weaker opponent can be negligible (the weak tails).

The "original" character design in EL was pretty good; it was just not implemented well.

Attributes and Nexus should be treated an equivalents - things you *decide* to improve by spending your hard-earned (and limited supply) PPs on; whereas skills just increase with usage and grind.  You've done more to earn these PPs than increasing just skill levels...

Since the players' decisions in character development are shown in the Attributes and Nexus, these are the right components to use as pre-requisites for activities rather than skill levels.  This also gives players a lot more flexibility in how they build their characters -- there could, for instance, be magic spells which require a high magic nexus but only a low skill level, to reflect a "natural savant".  Noble characters may be allowed to carry swords regardless of their relevant skill level, whereas a peasant would not.

It makes for far more diversity.

I would suggest that starting characters have more initial PPs to spend on their character than in EL though.
Korrode
Administrator
Timely

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-03-22 19:27 (Sun) »

Trollson's post represents the angle we're taking, and what we're trying to achieve.

I would feel that i'd failed in designing an attribute system if it needed a cap.

Echoing what trollson said; there will be attributes that will be inherently good for particular types of melee fighters, or particular types of mages, etc.

That said, it was planned to have skill level requirements for the usage of equipment/items relative to those skills, but it was always going to something where the effect would only be felt in the early stages of the game. Players will be at the required skill level where they can use all equipment available for their nexus class quite quickly, in just a fraction of the time that will be their 'game life'.

EDIT: In regards to an a/d (or any skill) cap, there's also no plans for this in QELServ (although you may get a little 'for fun' (and development info gathering) game in the meanwhile that will have such a cap Shocked ). The exp requirement for next level once people are nearing our desired 'softcap' in QELServ will be huge.
« Last Edit: 2009-03-22 19:33 (Sun) by Korrode » Logged

"Often, the most striking and innovative solutions come from realising that your concept of the problem was wrong." - Eric S. Raymond
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length