News: QELServ based combat mini-game (Lands Of War) 0.0.2 in testing NOW!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
+  QELServ Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  General Topics
| | |-+  The Lands of War cometh...
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Lands of War cometh...  (Read 12524 times)
Korrode
Administrator
Timely

View Profile
« on: 2009-10-15 16:11 (Thu) »

Krayon and myself have slowly but surely been working on QELServ, recently with a focus on getting the "Melee combat mini-game", now known as "Lands of War" (LoW for short), ready. For my part, recent extreme disenchantment with EL has spurred me to get my ass into gear and complete my side of things.

I thought i'd post some thoughts and intentions here for comment and feedback on.

Also just a reminder; This is not the "full" QELServ product, it's somewhat of an equivalent to EL's PK server, but more so Melee Combat in general, including an emphasis on fun PvE.

------------------------------

Death Penalty

The plan is that upon death a player will drop from 1 slot in their equipped items, and from 5 slots in their inventory. Which slot will be randomly selected of course.
I specifically say "slots" and not "items" because empty slots will be taken into the equation.
i.e. If a person had one of their equipment slots unused and 5 of their inventory slots unused, they could drop nothing.

Before anyone freaks out because it's not no-drops and there's no rostos, do remember, the best equipment in the game will be WAY cheaper than the best equipment in EL.
It wont take month(s) long projects to replace armor sets or whatever.

Attack, Defense and Overall level caps

The plan is to cap Attack and Defense each at 100, and OA at 114 (which is att100exp + def100exp).
That said, it's extremely hard to predict how fast people will level (but one thing that's sure, it will be a bit faster than EL), so it may change, but the idea would be that it would take most players no more than 6 months to be at the cap, and a serious grinder probably quite a bit less.

Team combat designed monsters

I plan to have quite a few creatures designed for being attacked by teams of players.
Unlike in EL, the creatures of this purpose will be engage-able by fighters of varying level, and they will all feel as though they are actually contributing to the downfall of the beast, because they will be.
That said, these kinds of monsters will still be killable by a single player, but only with a lot of fleeing off to restore health Tongue

No #reset, but will have attribute removal stones

I plan to not have #reset, but will have the 'designed for ganging / to be very tough' creatures dropping an abundance of attribute removal stones, so people will be able to change their builds without much trouble.

Fighter types by attribute build

As LoW won't have the pickpoint buying failing of EL, nor the extremely long character development cycle, and since OA exp will only be gained through combat, attribute selection is going to play a big part in how your character performs in combat, and what your strong and weak points will be.
There will be a very strong emphasis on creating fun Player Team VS Player Team and Player Team VS Environment activities, and those with team members of varying types of attribute builds who use good strategy will do particularly well.

i.e. you will decide your sub-class through your attributes, with one end of the scale being 'damage dealer' and the other end being 'tank', a team with only tanks or only damage dealers wont do as well as one with a mixture and/or some inbetweens.

All that said, there will still be single combat arena(s), and training solo is still expected to be 'the norm'.

Different attribute system to the previous tech-demo

The attribute system in the previous tech demo is the one that will be used in the full QELServ (aka Timeless Era), but as 3 of the cross-attributes would be basically useless in LoW, i've re-designed the system... this system, ofc, still lacks the failings seen in EL's system (i.e. no attributes are blatantly OP, and thus no cap is needed).

The system for LoW will be as follows:

Physique:
   Might (carry capacity)
   Perception (damage dealt)

Coordination:
   Reaction (dodging)
   Matter (health)

Reasoning:
   Dexterity (hitting)
   Toughness (damage absorbed)

Will:
   Dexterity (hitting)
   Matter (health)

Instinct:
   Reaction (dodging)
   Perception (damage dealt)

Vitality:
   Might (carry capacity)
   Toughness (damage absorbed)

Combat Techniques
We plan to have what i'm calling "combat techniques". They're like a buff that affects your next combat roll (but only the single next roll). There'll be six of them and you'll use the EL client's quickspell bar (or the spells window) to perform them.

I expect they will be:
  • Accuracy Boost
  • Evasion Boost
  • Armor Boost
  • Damage Boost
  • Lucky Hit chance boost
  • Critical Damage chance boost
Performing one of them will use mana, and everyone will have the same mana (because no cross attribute is going to add more)... it will probably use all your mana, and then you can use a mana potion which will go onto cooldown.
The idea is that these wont be usable in fast succession, and timing and tactics in when and which to use will be key.

Anyways, I wanted to post all this to get some feedback, see if anyone thinks of any flaws in it all that i haven't considered... and there's prolly some other stuff that's new since the previous tech-demo i should post that i've forgotten.

Also just thought i'd post it so people can get an idea of what LoW will be like and see that we've been further developing and designing the systems for the game.
« Last Edit: 2009-10-25 19:36 (Sun) by krayon » Logged

"Often, the most striking and innovative solutions come from realising that your concept of the problem was wrong." - Eric S. Raymond
collardhills
Betawulf
New

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2009-10-16 00:03 (Fri) »

im so excited  Cheesy

now lets see if i can wait however long we have left Lips sealed
krayon
Administrator
Timely

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2009-10-17 17:53 (Sat) »

Sounds good to me ( Korrode only told me about some of this Tongue ).  I'm trying to complete all the items needed to get this up.

As you can see from the Roadmap ( https://bugs.quadronyx.org/index.php?do=roadmap&project=1 ) we are currently at 50% progress for version 0.0.1.  This doesn't have the new features required for LoW but they shouldn't take too long.

kavvie
Betawulf
Almost Timely

Beast

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-10-19 13:55 (Mon) »

w0000000t!!!

I don't use ICQ/AIM/YIM. Only mumble/msn/xmpp so try to catch me there.

MrGray
Betawulf
New

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-10-19 18:24 (Mon) »

womgg f'ing cool Tongue

Not everything that counts can be counted,and not everything that can be counted counts.
RipBigMan
Almost Timely

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-10-20 04:14 (Tue) »

That's great..I am having problems loading that link though any suggestion... Keep up the good work. Glad to see that people are becoming more active again

If you want to run with the best be prepared to die like the rest

[RIP] rest in peices
krayon
Administrator
Timely

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2009-10-22 08:44 (Thu) »

Indeed some people have reported "problems" accessing the bug tracker.  Generally this is one of two things:
  1. Certificate issue - the server uses a CACert signed certificate and the CACert root certificate is not in Firefox, IE etc by default like Verisign etc are.  If it does complain about a certificate you can add an exception, there should be an option for this on the page.
  2. This server is actually hosted on a dynamic IP connection so sometimes (depending on your DNS server of your ISP etc) the hostname's IP address will be old, and it won't connect.  This will be rectified at some point when the bugtracker is moved to a "proper" location.

collardhills
Betawulf
New

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-10-22 08:49 (Thu) »

i cant read everything in these posts... seems when you have a "wide" picture, i dont have the scroll bar on the bottom to scroll ove. Sad Sad Sad Sad
krayon
Administrator
Timely

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2009-10-22 09:07 (Thu) »

i cant read everything in these posts... seems when you have a "wide" picture, i dont have the scroll bar on the bottom to scroll ove. Sad Sad Sad Sad
What "wide" picture are you referring to?  Or can't you see it Tongue

You should be able to click on the background/area that's not a link and use the arrow keys to scroll :/

Also, in your forum preferences you could select a different theme and see if one of those looks any better.  I notice I don't have scroll bars on these pages either but I use a weird browser ( Uzbl - http://uzbl.org ) and I use H/J/K/L to scroll around instead of a scrollbar anyway Tongue

Let me know how you go and what browser you are using (NOT that it should matter, just so I can see for myself) because obviously that sux Sad

(Pm'd to you too just in case) Wink

collardhills
Betawulf
New

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009-10-22 09:17 (Thu) »

the picture that korrode posted makes it go to far out, and cant see anything past "only" on that pick Sad

also tried clicking on the background, and it gives me the option to scroll down/up, but not side to side Sad
krayon
Administrator
Timely

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2009-10-23 15:44 (Fri) »

the picture that korrode posted makes it go to far out, and cant see anything past "only" on that pick Sad

also tried clicking on the background, and it gives me the option to scroll down/up, but not side to side Sad
In an awesome hack I have resized that image Tongue  Obviously a more solution will hopefully forthcoming.

Korrode
Administrator
Timely

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-10-25 19:09 (Sun) »

Different attribute system to the previous tech-demo

The attribute system in the previous tech demo is the one that will be used in the full QELServ (aka Timeless Era), but as 3 of the cross-attributes would be basically useless in LoW, i've re-designed the system... this system, ofc, still lacks the failings seen in EL's system (i.e. no attributes are blatantly OP, and thus no cap is needed).

The system for LoW will be as follows:

I've been thinking a lot about this since i devised that other attribute system, and have just spend an hour or so pouring over it, the original QELServ attrib system, and 2 other systems that got developed during the pour... and after much consideration, i won't be changing the attrib system, the original QELServ one will be used... which really is much better for the guise that this is somewhat of a test for Timeless Era Tongue

...now if i can just come to a conclusion on the other thing that's been pestering me for ages now (how to penalise for being attacked by multiple opponents), i'll be right :X

"Often, the most striking and innovative solutions come from realising that your concept of the problem was wrong." - Eric S. Raymond
krayon
Administrator
Timely

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2009-10-25 19:36 (Sun) »

...now if i can just come to a conclusion on the other thing that's been pestering me for ages now (how to penalise for being attacked by multiple opponents), i'll be right :X
Ah, I can help you there:

if being multi'd {
        if you = Krayon {
            all your opponents die
        } otherwise ...
        if you = Korrode or...
        if number of opponents > 3 {
            you die
        } end if
    } end if

I fixed it Cheesy

Korrode
Administrator
Timely

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009-10-25 19:40 (Sun) »

YOU'RE JUST SO HELPFUL Grin

kavvie
Betawulf
Almost Timely

Beast

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009-10-25 21:48 (Sun) »

WTB QEL asap pl0x D: I can pay in forms of extortion of other players. Yah that's right I know what mrgray did last summer.

I don't use ICQ/AIM/YIM. Only mumble/msn/xmpp so try to catch me there.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length