News: QELServ based combat mini-game (Lands Of War) 0.0.2 in testing NOW!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
+  QELServ Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  General Topics
| | |-+  New login background
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New login background  (Read 23888 times)
masohp
New

View Profile
« on: 2010-01-29 14:46 (Fri) »

I made my own QEL login background, 

I did it in gimp, i taught me self how to use it so I know im not the best. If you like it I can give you the login_back.bmp file.

gnight now i go to sleep
 bai

Like my signature and want your own?
Just tell me and ill make you one free.
Koss
Betawulf
New

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2010-01-29 16:27 (Fri) »

Nice.  When you run Eternal Lands (connecting to main EL server) does that background show up too?

If so, maybe we could get the EL install file, tweak it (add QEL data) and re-package it.  Have it install to C:\Program Files\QELServ\ ... and everything.

Not sure if that would work, I've never packaged anything to be run through an installer.  What do you guys think?  This way all data is separate.  And since the client is open source, perhaps some tweaks can be made to fit our needs?

EDIT: Typo.
« Last Edit: 2010-01-29 16:30 (Fri) by Koss » Logged

krayon
Administrator
Timely

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2010-01-29 18:11 (Fri) »

Nice.  When you run Eternal Lands (connecting to main EL server) does that background show up too?
Most likely not if you put the files in the UPDATES for qelserv.

If so, maybe we could get the EL install file, tweak it (add QEL data) and re-package it.  Have it install to C:\Program Files\QELServ\ ... and everything.
QELServ will soon have it's own client (with installer etc) however it will NOT contain the EL data due to licensing issues.  Whilst the client is open source (of a sort), the binary data is not.

Not sure if that would work, I've never packaged anything to be run through an installer.  What do you guys think?  This way all data is separate.
See above, however the data is still separate at the moment, using the update method described above.

masohp
New

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-01-30 01:42 (Sat) »

For me it does show up for el main and qel but thats only because I don't know how to make it show up for Qel only cuz i changed the file in eternal lands textures that was login_back.bmp because thats the only way I know how to do it. Im sure there are other ways tho that would make it show up for only qel

krayon
Administrator
Timely

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2010-01-30 01:56 (Sat) »

For me it does show up for el main and qel but thats only because I don't know how to make it show up for Qel only cuz i changed the file in eternal lands textures that was login_back.bmp because thats the only way I know how to do it. Im sure there are other ways tho that would make it show up for only qel
Yeah I'm 99% sure it'd work through the update method we are using now for the other files.

I forgot to mention, I do like it a fair bit myself except the "QELServ" bit, but that's OK anyway as we'd probably have Timeless Era/Lands of War text as it appears in the logo(s) there instead.

EndorVaeros
Betawulf
New

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-01-30 02:00 (Sat) »

If you currently use the same client for QEL that you do for the EL server, then YES, it will show up, because you have to overwrite the image file to get it to work. However, if you want to seperate the two, simply copy the EL folder, rename it, and be sure to update your shortcuts. Presto, new folder for QEL. (No, you don't have to run the installer again, that's just silly. Tongue)

@masohp: I like it, could you send me the image w/o the "QEL Serv" on it, so I can put the "Official name" on it, just like it looks in the banner?

~Endor Vaeros: Storyteller
masohp
New

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-01-30 04:46 (Sat) »

@endor: go to link http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l322/Day4u2die/login_back.jpg

and right click save as

Or download it from http://fs05n2.sendspace.com/dl/e7323fcdd3a51f1ea4021f8de4078d2a/4b63b23b1c2ae65e/hapn0b/login_back.bmp

Dont use my photobucket link it dosnt work, when I uploaded it to photobucket it automaticaly made it a jpeg, sorry

« Last Edit: 2010-01-30 14:14 (Sat) by masohp » Logged

EndorVaeros
Betawulf
New

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-01-30 12:20 (Sat) »

Give it a sec if it doesn't load right away, BMPs are huge. It is ready to be put into your QEL\textures Folder tho.  Grin

Will load another one with the Eternal War logo on it if people want it.

Also, I am working on other UI things to kinda go with the new theme.  Grin

Edit: Removed the image
« Last Edit: 2010-01-31 01:31 (Sun) by EndorVaeros » Logged

Korrode
Administrator
Timely

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-01-30 12:35 (Sat) »

Nice stuff masohp and EV Smiley

One that says "Lands of War" would be good too, although i don't know if we'll ever be doing 2 separate clients for each server... probably not tbh (krayon?)... maybe putting both "Timeless Era" and "Lands of War" on the image would be good...

"Often, the most striking and innovative solutions come from realising that your concept of the problem was wrong." - Eric S. Raymond
EndorVaeros
Betawulf
New

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-01-30 13:33 (Sat) »

I aim to please. Cheesy Must be re-named login_back.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/bluecoconuts/login_back-1.jpg
« Last Edit: 2010-01-31 01:32 (Sun) by EndorVaeros » Logged

krayon
Administrator
Timely

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2010-01-30 13:46 (Sat) »

Yeah I'm 99% sure it'd work through the update method we are using now for the other files.
OK... now I'm no longer trippin' out I can say that the update method we are using still overrides EL files, just doing it at a user level (thereby not modifying the official EL files).  The new client we will have soon will have it's own data directory and it's own user level data directory so it'll all be good.

One that says "Lands of War" would be good too, although i don't know if we'll ever be doing 2 separate clients for each server... probably not tbh (krayon?)... maybe putting both "Timeless Era" and "Lands of War" on the image would be good...
I think for most flexibility we'll have the QELServ client, with it's data directories, and it's user level update directory, but there'll be a way for each server to overload files etc.

I aim to please. Cheesy Must be re-named login_back.jpg

In short, we will have separate banner per server, so we need to have one with Lands of War where the Timeless Era name is.  I love the blood splat for it too! Cheesy  Can you perhaps make it slightly darker or something to make the text stand out more?  One could modify the black part of the text but then it'd have to be modified anywhere you've used that text :/

masohp
New

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-01-30 14:00 (Sat) »

Nice ur text is much better then mine xD

Im also working on a desktop icon, ill prob finish that tommorow

Also on a not so positive note, it dosnt work, not the one that has the new text, atleast not for me. There are only two reasons i can come up with why, the original el background was 1024 by 1024, this is 800 by 800. Another reason is the original el file was a bmp, your file is a jpeg.  The one I made for myself worked.  

Ps i think this is my fualt, when I uploaded my picture to photobucket it automaticly made it a jpg, use my download link instead. 
« Last Edit: 2010-01-30 14:12 (Sat) by masohp » Logged

krayon
Administrator
Timely

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2010-01-30 14:12 (Sat) »

Also on a not so positive note, it dosnt work, not the one that has the new text, atleast not for me. There are only two reasons i can come up with why, the original el background was 1024 by 1024, this is 800 by 800. Another reason is the original el file was a bmp, your file is a jpeg.  The one I made for myself worked. 

Ps i think this is my fualt, when I uploaded my picture to photobucket it automaticly made it a jpg, use my download link instead.
Yeah you'll probably need to convert it back to BMP :S

Hopefully EndorVaeros can get the BMP version, put the text on, and shuv that up (although in a ZIP/TGZ/RAR/ACE/7z so it's not HUGE).

In the meantime, you can simply do this on Linux:
  convert login_back.jpg login_back.bmp

On Windows, you'll have to jump through 400 hoops Tongue

OK, OK you can probably open in MSPaint and save as BMP maybe.

masohp
New

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-01-30 14:16 (Sat) »

Hopefully EndorVaeros can get the BMP version, put the text on, and shuv that up (although in a ZIP/TGZ/RAR/ACE/7z so it's not HUGE).

I think he will also have to make it 1024x1024 instead of 800x800

Korrode
Administrator
Timely

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-01-30 14:29 (Sat) »

best for now to maintain full compatibility with the original EL one.

So yes, 1024x1024, and also, probably importantly: make it an 8bit (256 color) bitmap.

so when exporting the image for usage in the client you need to convert to an indexed mode.

in GIMP u goto:
Image -> Mode -> Indexed...
and u will want to use the top option "Generate optimum palette" and select 256 colors.

In Photoshop it's:
Image -> Mode -> Indexed Color...
and u want to use one of the "Local" palettes (Adaptive, Selective or Perceptual).
I think usually 'Adaptive' does the best job, but it does have a tendency to darken where the others lighten... use whichever you think produces the best result.

Alternatively; just send me a 24bit PNG or 24bit BMP (zipped/rar'ed/etc. as Krayon said above) and i can convert to 8bit for you. Smiley

"Often, the most striking and innovative solutions come from realising that your concept of the problem was wrong." - Eric S. Raymond
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length