News: QELServ based combat mini-game (Lands Of War) 0.0.2 in testing NOW!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
+  QELServ Forum
|-+  Development / Design
| |-+  Storyline (Moderator: EndorVaeros)
| | |-+  Basic Introduction
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Basic Introduction  (Read 3771 times)
EndorVaeros
New

View Profile
« on: 2009-07-15 05:34 (Wed) »

An elven woman is sitting in the middle of the room. The exact way behind how you got to be here is still unknown to you. She smiles at you.

"It is good to see you made it. I was afraid that the magic used to summon you, and others like you had failed. Well, first things first. I am Solonna, keeper of the gate and the lost knowledge. That probably doesn't mean much to you, but all things will be explained in time, my child. If you have some time, I will explain some history of this land. If not, the door behind you leads to the world of QEL.

Not so long ago, a small group of people, decided to leave a land eternally torn by war. This was a harsh word in which the leader of the gods forced his harsh rule upon all those under him, thus creating dissent. Even the gods began to war amongst themselves, and this war taught the people of the world how to war. Factions were created. Alliances were broken. General chaos formed into the norm. It was in this warring era that this small group of adventurers set out to find a new land. It wasn't long before they accidentally found my summoning portal, a portal that had been shut down and forgotten; but not destroyed. A small group was gathered: a ranger, a summoner, an artisan, a fighter, a supplier, and a mage. They all studied the portal for many, many months. After which they managed to devise a way, using all of their powers, to open the portal. They stepped through the portal, bringing every earthly thing they had with them. This may be a one way trip for the group, but they did not care. Whatever lie through this gate had to be better than what they were leaving. And they found me, waiting for generations for those to find my forgotten magics.

What lay beyond the door, they wanted to know. In time, they would find out, as will you.

This land had been nearly abandoned when they arrived, and only a fraction of its former glory. Most of the inhabitants had left long before the small group of adventurers arrived, and I was one of the remaining mortals left in this land. Most of who was left were in hiding, I told the group of adventurers, and they had to be found if they wished to survive in this harsh world. I would be here to answer questions they may have, but, I told them, the real thrill of taming a new land is to find things out for themselves.

I will also give you the one piece of advice that I gave to them. Do not anger the gods of this land. Help them out and most of them will help you out. If you do not help them out, some will strike you down, while others will simply turn their back on you. Though they do not war amongst themselves by nature, some are very feared, and rightly so. But I am not here to lecture you about that. The citizens of this world will tell you what you need to know about that. Seek them out.

After I gave them this advice, they set out. Ever since they have been working on taming the land, and all I ask of you is that you help them on their journey. I will be here for you as well if you have any more questions.
« Last Edit: 2010-01-19 12:34 (Tue) by EndorVaeros » Logged

~Endor Vaeros: Storyteller
EndorVaeros
New

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2009-07-15 05:34 (Wed) »

Are you back for more knowledge so soon? Well, I must say, I am quite impressed at your enthusiasm. I must admit, it always surprises me when people actively seek out my knowledge. But that is of little matter. Please, do sit. I have more to tell you of this land, this time of before you arrived, before those brave adventurers found my summoning portal.

This world started out like many others: a naive world, just trying to survive from day to day. Like many worlds in this era, very little was known about things we take for granted now. Like metal armor, well crafted swords, and even the bow and arrow. Many of the weapons of that era were poorly crafted, and almost never made out of metal. Hunting was very difficult in those times, and people had to survive off the ever abundant fruits and vegetables that Mother Nature provided us with. Even that was not easy. She was a very wrathful woman who wouldn't think twice about striking any of us down if she thought we were taking too much. Just as many lives were lost trying to harvest the fruits and vegetables of the land as were lost trying to hunt the wild beasts. Somehow, we survived.

As our numbers started to dwindle, and we thought all hope was lost of surviving, woman came to visit our city. She called herself Kovera. She taught us how to forge weapons out of the minerals found in the earth. She taught us how to make potions to heal our wounded. And for a time, things were good.

We soon learned at the cost of the lives of some of our friends, that we had little use for the weapons they were made. No matter how well they were made, we had little use for things we could not use. When we cried out in desperation Kovera returned and taught us to make armor. But that was not all she did. She brought with her a friend, who called himself Zain. He taught those of our people he deemed worthy the proper way to hold the weapons of melee combat. He taught them to become efficient fighters. We finally had people to hunt the growing number of creatures that were threatening our very existence. But even that was not enough for long.

We found ourselves dealing with another problem. There was a growing problem with creatures of the sky. They would swoop down and destroy our crops because we had been killing their other sources of food. They were fast and extremely hard for our warriors, who only had swords as weapons, to hit. We prayed an answer would come. That was when Kovera visited our city and taught us to make bows and arrows. She also brought with her another friend, who called herself Hyriss. This woman taught those of us who were willing, and did not have other skills to untrain, how to use these new weapons.

This was able to satisfy our people's needs for quite some time. For generations this worked out, and we soon found ourselves growing out of the limited protection of our villages. So a small group of non combatants, who weren't focused on either the gathering materials or forging them into things, all gathered and tried to come up with a solution to our problem. At first they only prayed, but it soon became very apparent that we would not be helped out in this matter. It took them many months, but they came up with a solution. That's how we began to build cities. Our first ones were not nearly as grand as the ones you see now, but they were better than what we had. Now that we had decent protection, there were some of us that craved a life outside of weapons, outside of the confines of the life of the gatherers and the artisans. One among us craved it so much that he left the town by himself. After two weeks of almost no food, little sleep, and severe dehydration, he came back rambling about his hallucinations. This meant little to us until a day later some of our patrols met a man, carrying a box walking toward our city. They said that they had followed the crazy one back to ensure his safe arrival back home. They also told us that they were going to teach those that craved the same knowledge of the crazy one.

The man, who called himself Etos, taught us how to harness the very essence of life to summon creatures to do our bidding. These creatures would be loyal to the summoner until either the death of the creature, or the death of the summoner.

Once he finished his teaching, he placed the golden box in the middle of the city, but was quite vague about what its contents were. None knew what to make of this box, and soon fights broke out over the box. Fighters and archers wanted it as a prize, craftsman wanted it for the strange metals adorning the box, a wise old man stopped the fighting with his wise old words. Upon the end of the fighting the wise old man and a few others walked up to the strange box, and found a puzzle lock on the box.

The wise old man and his followers spent weeks trying to figure out the puzzle, but none of them could figure it out. Slowly his followers left one by one, until only the old man was left. It was nearing midnight on the fourteenth day when it hit him, he started twisting and turning the puzzle, and the moment it hit midnight the box opened with a bright flash. There stood Ocenyia, she congratulated the wise old man on his persistence. She taught him how to find true enlightenment, and then she taught him how to use that knowledge to cast magic spells.

She taught others among us who were willing to find enlightenment how to cast spells. However, she was much more fickle than we were used to, and would not teach anyone who would not adhere to her strict path of enlightenment. It was she who revealed to us that those that had been helping us out all these generations were, in fact, gods.

It didn't take us long after they left to begin to construct temples to their honor. They were, undoubtedly, the most beautiful thing in any of our towns. After several generations, and the construction of our great cities, a middle aged fighter, by the name of Amtus, decided to challenge the wrathful Mother Nature for her position of power. We all held our breath as the battle raged on. Mother Nature was sure to call forth all manner of storms to try and force us to get Amtus to back down from the fight. This just made him fight even harder. Just when it seemed that Mother Nature would force us to perish for the sins of Amtus, the skies began to clear, and Mother Nature was cast down from her position. Amtus later admitted to us that it was a lucky blow. Mother Nature had been distracted trying to call forth a storm to destroy everything that she had created for us. The storm would have been powerful enough to wipe out at least half of our cities. We all admit that it is nice to see someone who is not so wrathful about harvesting the ever infinite resources of our world.
« Last Edit: 2010-01-19 12:36 (Tue) by EndorVaeros » Logged

~Endor Vaeros: Storyteller
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length