News: QELServ based combat mini-game (Lands Of War) 0.0.2 in testing NOW!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
+  QELServ Forum
|-+  Development / Design
| |-+  Feedback
| | |-+  PvP combat system balance feedback wanted
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PvP combat system balance feedback wanted  (Read 4085 times)
Korrode
Administrator
Timely

View Profile
« on: 2009-11-01 20:48 (Sun) »

Starting with a quote from another thread:

4. The cooldown on the potions was a bit annoying, i was getting my ass handed to me (rofl) , same with food (fruit). Any chance the cooldown can be less or removed even ? Maybe for the food removed , but for the potions i would ask less of a cooldown please.
4. The cooldowns were put on the potions to stop the fights from being endless, the mobs in QEL (not the training ones) you will need to have different builds. Say one gets a tank like build while the other gets a DPS build. You won't be able to effectively solo any boss.
Unfortunately the cooldown's for healing potions will probably go up if anything, not down.

Firstly;
When attacking someone of similar a/d/oa who's on a tank build, you're not supposed to be able to bring their health down fast enough that they can't stay alive using the Super Healing Potion. Even if 2 people attack a 'full-on' tank, i'm ok with them not being able to kill with any kind of ease.

Certainly, once it's 3 or more people on they should probably start owning... but so far we seem to be fairly close to that.

Where there seems to be a problem:
At the minute, it would appear that 2 players with their Dexterity about the same as their Reaction, and their Perception equal to or greater than their Toughness (What we'll call an "all-round" build) are still having extremely long fights.

Before i go into potential ways to fix this i'll just mention that any effect on PvE balance can be easily fixed, so don't worry about that.

The way(s) i'm considering to counter the problem are:
Increase the cooldown on potions.
- and/or -
Reduce the amount of health restored by potions.
(I would probably lower the amount of health Matter gives too)

That said, there are other possible solutions, like increasing weapon damage, or decreasing armor, but i think the amounts of damage being dealt and absorbed atm are quite good, it's just that people are are to keep themselves alive.

Any suggestions of other possible solutions, or feedback on these ideas, would be much appreciated.

Any other feedback about any other aspects of the combat system, PvP or PvE, are also welcome in this thread.

"Often, the most striking and innovative solutions come from realising that your concept of the problem was wrong." - Eric S. Raymond
kavvie
Betawulf
Almost Timely

Beast

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2009-11-02 07:30 (Mon) »

I'll be able to say more on the topic ~5 hours from now, but I had an extreme tanking build. I could easily take 4 players on me and do very well. I couldn't hit, but they couldn't hit me neither. I've also tried to find a way to beat someone with my kind of built, I have a very hard time. It's very hard to be able to hit them and manage to do damage against them when they have high reaction, toughness and armor base. I couldn't build something to match it, because even when I was hitting 100%, the damage was being adsorbed and if I didn't build my reaction up they'd be able to block me 100%, and then on top of that hit me ~40% w/accuracy, and depending on the weapon the rest with Lucky hits/Criticals.

edit: SS of epic multi build that makes it look like i've got tinf Tongue
« Last Edit: 2009-11-11 06:20 (Wed) by bigkav » Logged

I don't use ICQ/AIM/YIM. Only mumble/msn/xmpp so try to catch me there.

Korrode
Administrator
Timely

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-01-21 11:39 (Thu) »

Huge thanks to everyone for all the recent testing.

As a result of said testing, adjustments have been made to the attribute system and combat rolls, and i think we've now got a very well balanced system.

Nonetheless, more feedback is still welcome.

"Often, the most striking and innovative solutions come from realising that your concept of the problem was wrong." - Eric S. Raymond
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length